Fantastic 1929 photograph of one of York, Pa’s earliest scout troops, Girl Scout Troop #4. This Troop was formed long before the Penn Laurel Girl Scout Council was established in 1959. The first charter for Girl Scouts was presented in York in 1928. Girls identified in this 1929 photo taken at Pine Grove Furnace include standing at rear l – r; Troop 4 Captain Joanna Harris, Gertrude Murray Irons, Alma Ransom, Mildred Butler, Georgianna Smith Hawkins, an unknown camper, & Earl Redman the cook; second row; Rosetta Young Thomas, Lois Lambert Reeves, Francis Holmes Hunter, Ernestine Ransom Thomas, Pansy Irons, Unidentified camper, Harriet Harris Williams & Ruth Hunter, Front Row; Dorothy Handy, Helen Ambush, Carrie Williams, Augusta Sease Hill, Irene Hawkins Felton, Melvina Henderson, Delores Simpson, Carrie Palmer Ford, Viola Palmer, Virgie Hopkins Charms & Mary Dorm Washington.
The girls would meet at the Emergency Girls Club on West Princess Street. The Emergency Girls club was one of two groups which joined together to form the first Crispus Attucks Association in 1931. It was organized out of Faith Presbyterian Church and was led by Mrs. Ida Grayson and Mrs. Alma Montouth. When the original Crispus Attucks was formed in 1931 the troop began meeting there.